Embrace your inner geek at GeekFest 2017! As most of the planet has become more technology-oriented, geek culture is on the rise internationally. The designation “geek” itself has changed over the years and is often considered a badge of honor these days. That’s a far cry from the more original connotation of “a peculiar person interested in off-beat topics, focused only on brainy pursuits.” The term is now used in a more positive manner, describing individuals with wide-ranging intellectual curiosity.
Members of the 501st Legion strike a pose at GeekFest 2016.
In its third year, GeekFest is a must for gamers, Trekkies, steampunkers, cosplayers, and nerds! The diverse universe of geeks will enjoy an evening of costume contests, board games, hands-on experiments, and trivia in the Planetarium with prizes and activities for the whole family.
This year GeekFest will host informative Panels featuring local experts discussing a variety of subjects, like working in the game industry, funding a Kickstarter, and more. And what assembly of geeks would be complete without its own Van De Graaf Generator to greet guests in the front lobby to begin their trek with a hair-raising experience?
For some, the old Pin-Ball machine is as fun as ever.
Planets of the Empire is an exciting new planetarium show like no other, where the audience travels to Star Wars planets like Hoth and Tatoonie for exploration. Play a Jeopardy-like trivia game called Geek Jeopardy, created for up to 150 people to share their knowledge on topics ranging from Harry Potter to science fiction shows, movies books, and more. For younger geeks, Monster Attack and Minecraft creations await their imagination at the Lego table.
On hand will be local comic book stores and unique local talent showcasing their products, including everything from chain mail to custom-made lightsabers. We have not forgotten food; grab a tasty snack at the McNasty’s food truck, have some delicious ice cream at Maggie Moo’s, or experience Cone Zone Cotton Candy.
GeekFest Cosplayer in full regalia.
Other Special Events for GeekFest 2017 guests include:
- Beat the Geek – NEW for 2017! This reverse trivia experience will allow the audience to stump local trivia experts
- Costume Contest – NEW format will involve a parade through the museum, with judging taking place throughout the evening!
- DIY Photobooth – Raspberry Pi-powered photo booth, hosted by Make It Dayton
- Arcade – Hosted by Doug’s Arcade and Gaming Adventures
- Star Wars Room – The Museum’s Science On a Sphere exhibit will be transformed with appearances from the local chapter of the 501st and other surprises
- Orc and Pie, the 5 minute D&D experience is back by popular demand
- Tabletop Gaming – Hosted by D20: A Bar With Characters, the new gaming bar in Kettering
- Themed items from the Museum’s collection, featuring our resident Anthropologist/Mother of Dragons
Admission to GeekFest is $10 for geeks of all ages, and tickets can be purchased online or at the door. All proceeds from general admission support year-round astronomy education at the Museum. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. for those who purchase tickets online. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for day-of-ticket sales. Vendors will be on-site, and food will be available for purchase. All ages welcome; under 17 cannot be admitted without a parent.